Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Are you living with 'mission' in mind?

This has been one of the most exciting times in the history of Word of Faith. I know I echo so many of your hearts when I say how privileged I feel to be here in this place, at this time.
Doors are opening for our church! Why? Because we are finally starting to believe that we are the keys to open these doors. Gone are the days when we sat down or stood back waiting for someone else to unlock the dream. More and more of us are seeing ourselves as a vital key turning person – a person who finds the lock they fit into and unlocks the dream.
Alpha, Significance, Sat Nite Live, are some of the doors that have opened that are close to my heart, because they’ve opened up mission opportunities for our church.
With so much going on in our everyday lives, it’s easy to become distracted and forget that we are here on this earth to complete a mission – to introduce people to Jesus. I find it so challenging co-ordinating the Alpha course, because it keeps the real purpose of my life at the forefront of my mind, reminding me I’ve a job to do. We have a job to do – mission is a door all of us can fit into and unlock.
Not all of us are going to be on the Worship Team (although you all know I try with all my might! I even wrote a song!!), not all of us are going to have a platform ministry, not all of us are great administrators. But all of us have been made for a mission – to be a messenger of God’s goodness to others.
We’ve been able to share extensively with the women at Significance and see God melt their hearts. There is nothing greater in this life! When I think about the things I’ve accomplished – obtaining an Honours Degree, getting my driving licence (I think they made a mistake – has anyone ever been in a car with me?!), having a job as a teacher, getting married, having a baby, buying a house, all the things I’m involved in at church, preaching and teaching – none of it…not one of these things fills me with the same joy, excitement, passion and drive as seeing someone come face to face with Jesus!!! It’s intoxicating, invigorating, infectious…the experience of actually doing it, motivates me to do it more!
Fulfilling the mission we were made for will require us to abandon our agendas and adjust to God’s agenda. King David prayed, “Turn me away from wanting any other plan than yours”. What a great request although I know that the big question really comes down to this, “Am I willing to be used by God?”
Maybe you’ve believed that you needed a special "call" from God, and you’ve been waiting for some supernatural feeling or experience, but God has already stated his call repeatedly. We’re all called to fulfil God’s five purposes for our lives: to worship, to fellowship, to grow like Christ, to serve, and to be on mission with God in the world. God doesn’t want to use just some of his people; he wants to use all of his people. We’re all called to be on-mission for God. He wants his whole church to take the whole gospel to the whole world.
If we want to be like Jesus, we must care about what he cares about most; we must have a heart for the whole world! Jesus wants all his lost children found. The Great Commission is our commission, and doing your part is the secret to living a life of significance. Jesus said, "Only those who throw away their lives for my sake and for the sake of the Good News will ever know what it means to really live!" There is no greater joy, there is no greater purpose, and there is no greater meaning in life than to lead someone to Jesus. We have been made for this mission. This is the purpose - driven life!

2 comments:

  1. hey Nic, can i just thank you for that comment, as i know i have a purpose in life and although it may take a while to get there, but boy, ill get there in God's time. Ur such an inspiration to younger members of the church and thank you for ur encouragment. keep it comin as we all need some guidance... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you Caroline - you need to know that you inspire me so much as well!!! Keep hungering after God's presence and direction - love ya xxx

    ReplyDelete