Monday, 20 April 2009

Alpha - the beginning of something special!

We run a course in our church called 'Alpha'. It's highly successful and was started by Rev Charles Marnham. The name 'Alpha' was suggested by Tricia Marnham, Charles' wife. It started as a course for church members on the basics of the Christian faith but then began to be used as an introduction for those interested in the faith. Over 2 million people in the UK and 13 million worldwide have now attended an Alpha course, an opportunity to explore the meaning of life, running in tens of thousands of churches of all denominations across the world.

That gives you a little background info! Why am I saying (or rather typing) all this? Well I'm just back from our first night of our new season of Alpha (we've run it for many years) and although I've been to every Alpha course we've run at the church (and community centre) I'm still impacted by the truth of the teaching and the dynamic (yes, it really was!) discussions we have. This was the best first night we've ever had. People were so ready to ask questions, investigate this life of JOY I'm always bantering on about, share their ideas and beliefs and begin to dare to believe that their life has a purpose. I'm so looking forward to getting to know these guys in the 9 weeks to come. God is doing something really special and I want in on the action! (I'm right up in God's face!) What an amazing adventure we are called to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment