Tuesday, 5 May 2009

The Boy, Foy.



Wow! Had the awesome privilege of once again hearing the amazing Foy Vance perform live. Also spoke with his wife Joanne (have to admit to being a bit star struck). I don't know exactly what it is about his songs that move me to tears - the raw intensity, the passion, the incredible vocal range, the poetic lyrics that mean so much...all of these things. We have used 'Gabriel' and 'Indiscriminate' for quite a few church events and the words of 'Indiscriminate' in particular, always challenge me to the core:

"I was always taught
If you see someone defiled,
You should look them in the eyes and smile,
And take their heart, no better yet
Take them home, home, home"


To me, this is the heart of Jesus. I need to get out of the church building mindset and focus on being the hands and feet of Jesus to the unlovely, unwanted, unseen.

"Love cannot remain by itself - it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action, and that action is service." - Mother Theresa

Here are the weapons of Jesus' Kingdom: rakes, brooms, listening ears, open hands, generous hearts, and emptying wallets.
I'm examining my heart on a daily basis - does it look like Jesus? (not religion, tradition, rules, regulations). Does my heart and life display love in action?

Well that's my goal and when I stray away from it, a simple thing like a Foy song, brings a God whisper to get back on track - to represent His Son well to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment