Saturday, 23 May 2009

Facing the giants


This weekend a few of my friends have faced major obstacles (understatement!) - they have been (individually) attacked, undermined, bullied and intimidated by the enemy. I've spent the last half hour or so praying for them (practicing what I preach) and drawing alongside them as they face their giant - and ultimately defeat it.

"Joshua said to the Israelites, "Come here and listen to the words of the LORD your God. This is how you will know that the living God is among you and that he will certainly drive out before you the Canaanites, Hittites, Hivites, Perizzites, Girgashites, Amorites and Jebusites." (Josh 3:9)

I always thought that when you became a Christian, you had to fight - and we do! But I think a key thing that hit my life was - that He will, without fail, drive out the giants from before you! God is doing the work pushing the enemy out in front of us - we just walk in and take the land. Now, yes, we do have to fight, but it’s quite a different story when we know the victory is the Lord’s and not ours. The Battle belongs to the Lord (we know that don’t we?). The battle is not yours, but God’s - that’s what it says in the Word of God itself.

Boldness is only mentioned once in the whole of the O.T. It’s mentioned 10 times in the N.T. - so why is boldness not around there but it is here? What about the word courage - it’s only mentioned once in the N.T., but 19 times in the O.T.
So in the O.T. they had to be courageous but in the N.T. you had to be bold. Isn’t that interesting? Do you see the difference? Without being theological, this says to me - when you go to do something and you’re going to take courage to do it, you have behind in your thinking, “I’ll be courageous and you never know, maybe this will come through for me. If I take a bit of courage and go for this, chances are, I might win”. Isn’t that the sort of feel you get to the word courage? When you have courage, then you might save the day, by the application of yourself to it.
But when God says, “Be bold”, He’s saying, “I’ve already won the day just go in and take it!” and we go, “but, but, but…” and he says, “No, this isn’t about courage. I’ve already done it - just be bold!”
How do you be bold? You set your face like flint and you go for it!
Isn’t that brill? This thrills me to bits - that the job’s done for us and we’ve just got to walk in and take it. We're not courageous Christians but bold believers!!

I need to KNOW my authority in God when I pray, because when I do, prayer is powerful and Heaven responds.

No comments:

Post a Comment