Friday, 29 May 2009

Letting go...letting God.


I've been battling with a tummy bug today :( and in the midst of the drama, my 10 year old daughter, Emily, is packing for her school residential trip next week. She will be gone for 1 whole week - the longest we've ever been apart! I will also be away for 3 days - my own school residential to Liverpool and Blackpool - so that may make it a little easier. David will have the house all to himself for a few days - how will he cope? Please visit him occasionally and make sure he has clean socks on and is eating vegetables!

My daughter is growing up. She can't wait for a week of Independence, away from her parents, chilling out with her friends. I can't help but reminisce about her baby days - she was adorable (still is, only a lot louder!) and so reliant on us for everything. Now she is discovering her own mind and voice and is daring to share those thoughts with the world. It is bittersweet watching her at the moment - I love her development and growth but I also yearn for the baby days. Letting Emily go...watching her make choices...form relationships...change school...deal with not-so-nice people...struggle with the transition from child to teenager...is, at times, heartbreaking. I no longer can “fix it” like when she was little. I confess I don’t like it but at the core of me I know that God is faithful to “work out” what I have no business trying to “work out” for Him. He loves Em so much more than I ever could imagine...and I confess that I can’t even wrap my head around that one.

"All that I am or hope to be I owe to my mother. I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all of my life." Abraham Lincoln
I pray that this is how Emily will view my involvement in her life. I pray that she becomes all she can be, that she will dream big, believe in our God of the impossible, hold fast to God's promises and be true to herself.

“Making the decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." Elizabeth Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment