Thursday, 14 May 2009

Mirror, mirror...



I've been doing my annual (well married to David, I do this regularly) SPRING CLEAN and have been sorting out various cupboards etc (old photos, letters, love notes, prophetic words etc). It's been amazingly therapeutic. EXCEPT, when I come across photos of myself in secondary school!

Whoooooooooooosh!!!! That was the sound of me being transported back in time, to the days of gawky, insecure, awkwardness. Took my breath away (cue song). I remember (like it was yesterday) feeling so out of place, different, ugly - it didn't help that my best friends were gorgeous and talented! I was always the 'good mate' - when boys came into the picture, I was their confidant, helping them to go out with my good-looking friends. They loved me (as a friend) giving them guidance and the heads up about how to get into my friends' good books.

I was so insecure about how I looked. I had short, short, short hair (so was frequently mistaken for a fella) and was tall, chubby, clumsy. I used to fall loads - on buses, in the middle of the road - you get the idea! I was smart (but never felt it, there was always loads of people in my year smarter) I had artistic talent (but wasn't the best) I was loyal, caring, generous (but got walked on) I was open about my Christian faith (but got mocked)

Loads of my hang-ups came from comparing myself to those around me.

Women fall in their 1000s into the trap of comparing – the snare of comparing. People are infatuated by what they have and don’t have compared to other people. We spend our lives comparing our.....to others. As women we’re sold products that even encourage us to do that! It’s a subtle trap and a miserable way to live.
We must fight to stop this because the truth is NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU. There’s not one thing that compares to you. God made you as an original, you are one of a kind, you are a unique individual.

Listen to this verse: "Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life." (Gal6:4,5)

WOW!!! Be creative with what you’ve got. We’re called to run a race but we’re not called to all be in the same lane. That’s how you trip and stumble – you get in other peoples’ lanes because you want to be like them and they trip over you, a collision happens and you get off track with what you’re supposed to be doing. God is saying there are enough lanes for everyone to do what He's called them to do. Realise that when you’re facing Goliath, you don’t have to be Goliath, you just have to be David, you just have to be your gorgeous self.

That's a life long lesson for me - but I'm determined to escape the snare of comparing and see myself the way my Dad does. What's your story? I'd love to hear your thoughts x

No comments:

Post a Comment