Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Feelings


I've had a strange few days. I've battled with my emotions in a way I haven't experienced in years. Old ghosts of 'rejection', 'self pity', 'worthlessness', 'inadequacy' - all reared their ugly heads and whispered their poisonous suggestions in my ear. It's 'funny' that on Sunday Roy mentioned about living emotionally free and then I get a bit of an onslaught - coincidence? I think not!

Roy shared that the root source of the word 'emotion' is the Latin "ex-movere" - meaning to move away. Very interesting because this is what our fleshly emotions try to do - move us away from the will of God. If we allow them to do so, 'feelings' will stir up problems that will cause us to move out of the will of God for our lives. But hey, there's good news! We can resist these emotions. We can put on the garment of praise as the Bible teaches us in Is 61:3.

It's not easy. We have a fight on our hands. The Apostle Paul said that he did not take the grace of God in vain. (Gal 2:21) He did not expect God to do everything for him without doing his part too. God gives us the ability to do what we need to do, but we must choose right action.

So when the voices of past hurts etc started to invade my world I began to talk back. I fought back. When rejection and feelings of loneliness began to rise up to cause me misery, I had to stop and declare, "Stop! I'm not rejected or lonely! I may 'feel' I am but I am NOT."
The Bible tells us that the Lord our God who resides within us is "mighty". Mighty to do what? One way is "mighty" to help us overcome our emotions and be led by His unchangeable Word and Spirit and not by our shaky, unstable feelings and emotions.

"I have told you these things, that My joy and delight may be in you, and that your joy and gladness may be in full measure and complete and overflowing" (John 15:11)
Did you know according to Strong's concordance, the actual meaning of the Greek word chara translated joy in this scripture is "calm delight"? - that's emotional stability.

I'm learning. I'm learning to take control of my emotions and avoid mood swings that would keep me from enjoying the continual calm delight that God has planned for me - and you X.

3 comments:

  1. lets all pray for calm delights xxxxxx

    carly xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. EMOTIONS THEY ARE A FUNNY OLD THING, HOW LUCKY ARE WE THAT WE HAVE GOD AND HIS WORD TO KEEP STABLE AND CLAM HE WILL NEVER LET US DOWN!!

    KAREN X

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey nic, emotions are weird, as you know mime are pretty messed up, but we have God on our side... its funny that the word emotion in latin means aside off, as sometimes we find it so hard to stand aside but with God there is a way... praying for you and your family at this time, dont let the sneaky devil poke his nose it as if we leave a door open, he'll coming running through... you inspire me so much misses... take care l

    ReplyDelete