Thursday, 18 June 2009

NOT just another brick in the wall.


Well I'm sitting in class - prepared and ready for 20 children to come storming into our room - reflecting on how the school year has gone. When I received this class in September, I must admit, I had my doubts. 16 boys and 4 girls, many with ADHD, some with acute learning difficulties and behaviour problems. Arrrghhhh, I thought! However this year has not been what I expected.

I'm not sure when or how exactly, but each one of the children has wiggled their way into my heart (and once you're in there, there's no getting rid of you) and become my friend. Sure we've had our ups and downs, but all good relationships do. I love these kids and will sorely miss them next year (I can hardly believe it myself!)

There have been classic moments - a boy, who never smiled, lights up my room with enthusiasm when we do creative play and art, a boy who found it difficult to express emotion has given me a hug, a girl who's confidence was on the floor now speaks out with boldness, a group of boys who have daily made it their mission to make me laugh (from jumping out and scaring me to leaving funny little notes around the room for me to find) - and BONUS they've all dramatically improved in their school work!

I'm sitting like a proud mother hen - reluctant to let them go, but knowing I have to release them into the care of another. Well there's the bell - I'm off to gather my chicks and enjoy the time I have left with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment