Saturday, 25 July 2009

No Line On The Horizon




Well I'm back from a few days in Dublin - David and I went to see U2 in concert at Croke Park. Every muscle in my body hurts at the moment due to excessive jumping, head banging, arm waving, shouting, singing, screaming(!) and generally rocking like there was no tomorrow! It was so amazing. Fortunately we got really close to the stage (about 10 rows from the front) and I promise you, at one point Bono looked right into my eyes and winked!!!
They sang all their classics and some new ones - the sound of 80,000 people singing along was incredible.

However, I was unprepared for what a spiritual experience it turned out to be - that was quite unexpected. Sorry I need to give you a little bit of history...David and I have had our hearts trampled over by a number of people (as does happen in life) - people who say one thing and yet do another...I won't say any more, I just wanted you to know that David and I still have some raw, wounded areas in our hearts. Well, we didn't focus on that this weekend (because it was all about U2 and Us - did ya like what I did there???) but obviously God knew we still needed some healing.

It didn't come through one of U2's big hits...Bono and The Edge started an acoustic version of 'Stuck In A Moment' and 80,000 people faded away as the lyrics made a bee-line for my heart. The peace and assurance of God wrapped itself round me like liquid love...

"And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if your way should falter
Along this stony pass

It's just a moment
This time will pass"

I looked at David and he had tears streaming down his face - God had been touching him deeply as well. We wept in the middle of that concert as Bono sang healing words and heaven witnessed another part of our hearts recovered and restored.

So sometimes my past catches up with me like a punch in the gut, nearly winding me...BUT GOD is so for me and my church that He will even use Bono to communicate it...just how awesome is that?!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the gig and brought something away from it. It is amazing sometimes how God can use things and people to get our attention about something. From people we know to complete strangers to even worldly bands like U2. A friend of mine told me that God got his attention once using some of the lyrics from a Cher song of all things. He really does move in "Mysterious Ways" (little pun there) sometimes.

    ReplyDelete