Thursday, 9 July 2009

Passion for Positive


Are you ready for another one of my soul searching, mask removing, heart examining posts?
I'm learning, as a leader, that ingratitude and criticism are going to come. I don't like it but I'm discovering they are a part of the price paid for refusing mediocrity. Anyone who has achieved anything notable sooner or later receives criticism. The great Greek philosopher, Aristotle, said "Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." If you move with God, you will be criticised.
But the Bible offers a great promise - the truth always outlives a lie! Prov 12:19 "The lip of truth shall be established forever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment".
Kenneth Tynan has provided a fantastic description of a critic - "A critic is a man who knows the way but can't drive the car".

I have found that it is better to be alone than in the wrong company. I'm steering clear of negative-thinking "experts".

2 comments:

  1. "I have found that it is better to be alone than in the wrong company. I'm steering clear of negative-thinking "experts".

    Good point. When we are around people of certain attitudes (ie: negative people) we find that their attitude can rub off on us and we can become negative ourselves. But then again if we don't listen to people who offer us sound advice and instead class it as criticism because we don't agree with them, then we can also fall into dangerous territory also.

    By the way, I left a reply to you on my post that you commented on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true - when I'm talking about critisicm in this context, I'm referring to the destructive kind rather than constructive. I'm a firm advocator that we should surround ourselves with people who stretch us. Prov 13:20 "He that walks with wise men shall be wise; but a companion of fools shall be destroyed"

    I'm off to read your reply :)

    ReplyDelete