Wednesday, 29 July 2009

Such a cliché!


My dog is such a cliché! She buries her bones and chases her tail! She doesn't chase cats though - when they wonder in from next door, she licks them. Anyway on the topic of clichés...

A cliché is a "trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse." Clichés are those words and phrases that we say without thinking. As I seek to communicate the reality of God to others I have to be so careful that I don't spew out religious jargon or Christian clichés. I want to connect with people on their level and that means ditching the script and stepping into their story (and pain). I don't want my mouth to be filled with stock phrases. So I urge all Christians everywhere, let's think about what we say to people - some christianese phrases may be so embedded in us that we don't even notice how odd they sound.

Remember that clichéd bedtime prayer you were forced to say as a child? Watch the clip below and see if this rings true with you...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q2wD6HHdUY

No comments:

Post a Comment