Sunday, 12 July 2009

Wild at heart


"Don’t panic. I’m with you. There’s no need to fear for I’m your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you. I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you. Count on it: Everyone who had it in for you will end up out in the cold – real losers. Those who worked against you will end up empty-handed – nothing to show for their lives." (Isaiah 41: 11-12)

Isn't that an incredible promise? I read that this morning and could literally feel God's liquid love pouring all over me.

I'm still pondering on the subject of opening our hearts and homes to others. I remembered a poem I'd read a while ago and thought it would be good to revisit it...

Prayer of Sir Francis Drake

Disturb us, Lord, when We are too well pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we have dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when
With the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth,
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wider seas
Where storms will show your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.
We ask You to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push into the future
In strength, courage, hope, and love.

Challenging isn't it? It hit me right up the side of the head. We tend to want to live in our safe, comfortable boxes - where everything is neat and orderly. Sometimes I live my life like it's a list, ticking off achievements as they happen. It can be clinical at times and it can shut God out. I'm learning to surrender my structures to embrace the wildness of God - where I don't have or need all the answers, where life is risky, unpredictable, exciting. Remember the quote about Aslan in The Chronicles of Narnia - "He's not a tame lion but he is good".

2 comments:

  1. i love reading nic nac it insipres me daily to get up off my bum and be a person of God!! thank you nic for taking the time to inspire me daily on Gods behalf!!

    love you,
    karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen. Writing and communicating is a passion of mine - I've always kept a diary so I guess this is a grown-up version - if it helps someone else along the way, that's a huge blessing to me.
    Love you too X

    ReplyDelete