Monday, 24 May 2010

The Great Pretender

"There comes an hour in the afternoon when the child is tired of ‘pretending’; when he is weary of being a robber or a cowboy. It is then that he torments the cat… " - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

We can speak, behave and appear to be something we are not yet… and while it may sound and look good/godly/holy... we're actually just pretending... something core, true, is missing. It looks like God, but is missing the stamp of authenticity... and lacking that, it will not last long. Paul hits on this saying,

“If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing...” I Corinthians
It may be an hour in the afternoon or a season of life… and we’ll catch ourselves tormenting the cat! (our spouse, children, friends) It’s in that moment of exposure, of embarrassment, failure and frustration that we can see it, own it and then... cry out to God for a deep true transformation.
Why do we settle for pretending when the life, character, strength and love we yearn for, and often pretend to have, really is available? We don't have to pretend!


Our church is going through an amazing study of covenant, healing, prayer - it's demanding a commitment to BE everything Jesus enabled us to be. Not just looking like Christians, but actually demonstrating the power and love of God through our daily lives. The world wants authenticity...genuine involvement. I don't want to be that plastic christian, with a big, fake smile...and no real interest or care for humanity. I want the reality of my relationship with God to impact others on a deep and meaningful level...no sorry, I'm changing that to...my relationship with God (talking and listening to Him daily) WILL have an impact on those I meet in my world...they WILL see a genuine love in action...I WILL intentionally reach out to people and WILL show them how much God cares.

It's time to get real...to BE the church...to stop hiding in a building, in routines, traditions...to be BOLD and demonstrate that the Kingdom of God is here!



Just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment