Sunday, 30 May 2010

I need you, you, you

It's not perfect. Your local church is no more perfect than mine. But we need each other. We need to find our place in it, fill that place and let God use it to help us become all that He intended.

I read recently about a magnificent and elusive mountain goat on the top of the Spanish Pyrenees, the mountains in Spain. The writer said that this mountain goat always seems to get away from shooting range. They discovered the reason for it is that it has a companion. There is a younger goat that follows and sounds the warning of enemies around it. Relationships within the Body of Christ can protect us when we're in danger, protect us when we're under attack. We have such a need for accountability.

I know that's a word that some of us aren't real comfortable with. We'd rather be independent; we'd rather do things on our own. We've been trained to be self-sufficient but the fact is that we're not self-sufficient. We need each other or we're going to be overpowered by the enemy.

And I need accountability in many different areas of my life.

Hebrews 3:13 says: "Encourage or exhort one another daily." How often is that? Every day. How often do we need another in our lives? Every day. Why? "Encourage one another daily lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." I want so much to keep a heart that is tender toward God, a heart that is sensitive to Him, a heart that is sensitive to sin, a heart that is pure.

First I need the Holy Spirit to do that in my life but then I need you and you need me. We need each other daily to encourage each other. Encouragement isn't just saying, "I love you, I think you're wonderful."

Sometimes encouragement is saying, "Watch out, I think you're vulnerable there. I think you might be vulnerable when you do..." or as a friend of mine used to say, "I could be a million miles off, but is it possible that..."and then this person would bring up something that they had a concern about. And I'll tell you what, as I look back on it - they were rarely wrong.

When the white man first arrived in North America, the native Indians did not have a written language or alphabet but their vocabulary was often more eloquent and more expressive than that of the French and English explorers. For example, the word "friend" was understood by the Native Americans, "as one who carries my sorrows on his back." Isn't that good? One who carries my sorrows on his back. That's a real friend.

I read recently about a badger-like animal that is native to India and parts of Africa. It's called a ratel and this animal pairs up with a little bird called a honey guide bird. They both love honey but they need each other in order to get the honey. So they go out together.

The little bird, the honey guide bird, has these sharp eyes that can pinpoint a beehive with honey and then the ratel has powerful claws that tear up the hive and make the honey available to both of them. They need each other. They work together and as they do, they are more productive than one would be without the other.

Hmmm...something to ponder

No comments:

Post a Comment