Saturday, 8 October 2011

How Blogging Changed My World

I've always been a 'refector' - sometimes I over-analyse situations to the extreme (my greatest weakness!) However from an early age I kept a secret diary (I recently found one from when I was 14 years old - it was painful reading!) and so blogging seemed to be the more grown-up alternative. I started blogging to record my thoughts and feelings about my eating disorder and depression, my leadership role in church and how I handled my relationships with others.

I decided early on to be as transparent as possible in order to get the most from the process and so that others may be helped (a grand ambition, I know!) This blog has been like a best friend. When I struggled with eating, I blogged. When my marriage hit a storm and subsequent breakup, I blogged. When I struggled with my purpose and role in life, I blogged. When I celebrated my successes, you guessed it, I blogged! My blog has been my confidant - it never judged, it offered me a safe place to be 'me'. It truly has been a lifesaver in the darkest times of my life.

I never really considered blogging about my reflections as a teacher - I always kept a diary for that. Although I have some posts on lessons and the children in my class, I haven't yet got into the depth of retrospective that my diary recieves. I plan to change that, as my focus for this blog will now be about me as a teacher. You know, my primary teacher told my parents that I would never amount to anything because we were a low income family and my dad was disabled. I owe everything to my mum and dad who lead me to believe that anything was possible. I got my Honours Degree and I got the first teaching job I was interviewed for - I've been in that same school ever since (nearly 16 years!) I'm excited about this new direction for my blog. I've also started a class blog and my students love it!
www.missharrisonandp34.blogspot.com

I never, ever imagined anyone would read this blog. I've been so incredibly humbled by the comments and emails I have recieved. I have to say a big thank you to Matthew Ray for encouraging me to keep blogging and for making me feel like it matters - that I matter.

http://photomatt7.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/1365/

Happy to be part of the Rockstar Meme – How Blogging Changed Your World

11 comments:

  1. As a new blogger, I am inspired by you thoughtfulnes, reflection, and dedication to writing. I decided a little a little over a month ago to use a blog to work through my thoughts as a teacher. I am finding it extremely helpful in shaping my thoughts and practice. I hope you find the experience to beas rewarding. I look forward to reading your thoughts on the most satisfying, challenging and important job out there.

    Heather Mathews
    First grade teacher,WI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather - give me the link to your blog - I would love to read it.
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nichola,

    I first came upon your blog during your "leave of absence" and wasn't sure whether you'd be back, but bookmarked the blog anyway because I appreciated your frank and candid writing, which is the transparency you mention above. I'm glad to see you've returned, and I wish you all the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nichola,

    Found your blog today as I am blog-walking.

    Wow! Your life as teacher must be great! As for me, I am working with machine (a.k.a computer) for the last 12 years.

    I will definately bookmark your blog as I like the way you blogged (which is the transparency you mentioned). :)

    Wish you all the best!

    Rgds,
    Muhamad Abdul Hay
    MALAYSIA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Air Max Cheap online store supply max 95, max 2012, Max for women with cheap price. All Air Max 2012 are high quality with cheapest price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging is a part of my life because i am online florist,that's why i like more blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blog commenting is my way to express thinking whatever you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. elizabeth@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete